Linksys router...

Brian Johnson blj at thermoanalytics.com
Mon Dec 20 13:32:41 EST 2004

eric-list-argus at catastrophe.net wrote:
>On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 11:38:16 -0500, by way of blj at thermoanalytics.com proclaimed...
>
>> I'm trying to monitor our incoming and outgoing traffic through our
>> linksys BEFVP41 Cable/DSL router.  Currently I have a linux box plugged
>> into the switch that both the cable modem and the router are plugged into,
>> and this is the box I'm running argus on.  I've tried running argus a
>> number of ways, including:
>
>And you're monitoring the port on the switch, right (or port spanning or
>whatever it is in your switch vendor's speak). Can you see any traffic?

I've now enabled DMZ hosting, and pointed it at the interface argus is monitoring.  But, to do this I had to plug the linux box into the linksys router.  I restarted argus, with all the above ways from before.  None of them showed test traffic (in this case a ping going from another machine, and a download going from another machine).  Running racount -ar /tmp/argus.out shows that it's getting traffic, but there isn't any ICMP traffic (from the ping test).  So, to recap:

My cable modem plugs into my linksys router.  I then have several computers plugged into the linksys.  I have DMZ enabled, and pointed at the computer with argus running.  Argus is monitoring the interface with the DMZ pointed at it.  It shows some traffic from our network, but not the test traffic.

Thanks for the help!

--
Brian Johnson
Systems Administrator