[ARGUS] Argus on 64 bit architecture

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sun Apr 11 18:25:12 EDT 2004

Hey Guys,
   Sorry for the delayed response.  64-bit support in the clients
is indeed slated for 2.0.7 which should start soon.  While soon
has seemed to be measured in geologic time on this list for a while,
I do now have some cycles to spare for a short while.

   With regard to argus and 64-bit machines, here is my understanding
of the situation.  The only questionable value in existing argus data
that needs to be 'fixed' is in the MAR, management activity record.
The MAR record has 2 64-bit values in it, and they are currently
cast as (long long).  Now, these values are already 64-bit aligned
in the existing argus record, so if there is a problem, it should
only be in the type declared, and how 64-bit client programs try
to read the value.

   Internally there are a number of (long long) types declared, but
none should have alignment problems.  But there is one routine, the
one used to calculate the Syn/SynAck/Ack round trip times, that
returns a 64-bit value.  This routine is also declared as a (long long)
and probably needs to be changed.

   Any ideas on how to declare this type so we get it right
regardless of architecture?

   Hopefully the above is correct, and perhaps complete.  If there
is anything I'm missing, please don't be shy in tell me or the
list, that there is more to be considered.

Carter