[ARGUS] Segmentation Fault with 2.0.6rc2 on FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE

eric eric-list-argus at catastrophe.net
Fri Apr 9 18:08:44 EDT 2004

I have argus running under daemontools on freebsd 4.9-RELEASE. I've
done to this to take care of argus' falling down when we are pushing
large amounts of traffic through the network (140Mbps).

However, a corefile turns up the following...

GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
[...]
Core was generated by `argus'.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libwrap.so.3...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libpcap.so.2...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libm.so.2...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.4...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging
symbols found)...done.
#0  0x8052918 in free ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x8052918 in free ()
#1  0x94 in ?? ()
#2  0x804f632 in free ()
#3  0x805272c in free ()
#4  0x804ebe6 in free ()
#5  0x804e32b in free ()
#6  0x804ad6f in free ()
#7  0x804a14e in free ()
(gdb)

And the error message is...

argus[16318]: ArgusProcessPacket () ArgusWriteOutSocket Failed
              to Multiplexor. Shuting Down

It can't be a bottleneck to the disks; iostat shows only about
10MB/sec are being written to disk during high usage.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

- Eric