[ARGUS] Argus on 64 bit architecture

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Wed Apr 7 19:41:10 EDT 2004

We currently have argus running on a dual 1ghz P3 system.  We're going
to upgrade that to a dual 1.8ghz AMD Opteron system.  The old system
is running argus 2.0.6 beta stuff.

The new system was installed with Redhat Enterprise Linux compiled
for AMD 64 bit architecture.  I built the latest argus 2.0.6
stuff from ftp.qosient.com, and copied over an argus data file from
the old system.  When I ran "ra" on the old file, it displayed one
line of output from the file:

29 Mar 04 06:47:12           man xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  v2.0                   1 0  0        0         0            0           STA

ra on the file on the old system produced a lot of lines of output.

In looking at the sources, there are a lot of "long" data types in
there, which is probably causing this issue.  So I'm assuming here that
argus will run ok on the AMD system, but I won't be able to read any
of the files generated on the old P3 system due to the differences
in data type sizes (long int on p3 is 4 bytes and 8 bytes on the AMD64).

Are there any plans to fix this in the future?  I could re-install
the AMD system with RHEL for i386 which should use the i386 data
type sizes, but I don't know what that will do to the performance.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069