argus-server: argus interface monitoring confusion

Richard Gadsden gadsden at musc.edu
Mon May 19 14:29:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Carter Bullard wrote:

> Hey Richard,
>    Ok, I've got almost all of the changes for
> the configuration file and command line option
> changes finished.  Here is a situation where I'd
> like to know what the user should expect.
>
> In this example, each configuration file specifies
> a different interface to open:
>
>    argus -F conf1 -F conf2
>
> what should we expect?  The new argus will not
> open /etc/argus.conf (-F options present), open
> conf1 and conf2 and process them in that order.
> If either don't exist we fail.  With regard to
> the interfaces, we'll only open the interface
> specified in conf2.

Hmmm, I think in this situation you'd want to open both the interface(s)
in conf1 and the interface(s) in conf2. That would seem to be the most
useful behavior, otherwise wouldn't you lose the ability to get 'additive'
behavior from configuration files?

For example, if conf1 contains ARGUS_INTERFACE=eth1 and conf2 contains
ARGUS_INTERFACE=eth2, then it seems most natural to me that argus should
open both eth1 and eth2, to remain faithful to the inherently additive
nature of the ARGUS_INTERFACE option.

The order of processing config files should matter for non-additive
options like ARGUS_FILTER, but for additive options like ARGUS_INTERFACE
and ARGUS_OUTPUT_FILE, order should not matter, and these options should
still behave additively even if read from multiple config files.

> Last example is:
>
>    argus -i eth0 -F conf1 -i eth1 -F conf2 -i eth3
>
> Same behavior as above with regard to config files,
> where are processed first.  After conf2 is read,
> we'll start processing the -i options, and we'll
> only open eth[1-3].
>
> Is that appropriate?

Yes, I think this would make the most sense, following the convention that
any options which are explicitly given on the command line should override
options specified in configuration file(s).

Thanks,
Richard