argus-server: argus interface monitoring confusion

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri May 16 09:53:36 EDT 2003

Hey Yotam,
   Having a definitive statement on this will
make it much better, so I'm glad that we've got
critical mass to make a decision on this.
So let me describe the current state of things
and we can get to where we want to go.

   The notion of hierarchical configuration files
happens all the time, as argus always opens /etc/argus.conf
and then processes any other configuration files and
command line options.  Argus does this to support the
concept of system wide defaults/policies, such as what
interface to use and the level of security for the
SASL configuration.

   User supplied configuration files, that are in
the $ARGUSPATH are then opened, and used to override
the system wide values, a kind of personal customization.
This was added so that you just needed to type "argus"
and can get a rather complex runtime environment.

   Argus then processes command line arguments, in
left to right order, using standard getopt() processing.
So, if you put a "-F file" in the middle of a list of
arguments, it will be processed in the middle.  As a
result we have order sensitive configuration.  I personally
think that is ok, but I may be in the minority here.

   The "-i", "-r" and "-w" options are all additive at
the moment, in that any number of these are simply
added to a list.  All of them have the problem of
supporting duplicate entries.

   There is a command line option 'X' to revert all
configuration options to default, so if you don't
like the current values, you can use '-X' to blow them
all away and start again.  It is position sensitive.

   Now we evolved to this state, because we went from
a small number of command line options, to where we
had more options than letters, and we moved the values
to a configuration file, leaving some of the options for
command line specification.  We do have options that
have no command line equivalent.

   Ok, so, that is a fair presentation of the existing
situation.  I'm for having simple rules, to minimize
confusion.  So this would be my suggestions for how
to change what we have.

   1. Continue to use /etc/argus.conf as a base default
      configuration file.

   2. Eliminate the automatic searching for argus.conf
      files through the $ARGUSPATH variables and the
      current directory,  as that is where some unexpected
      behavior comes from.

   3. Keep the -X option to eliminate any effects of
      the /etc/argus.conf file.

   4. Fix all the options that are additive in order to
      ignore duplicates.

   That seems like a good start.  The final issue, if
I'm reading the situation correctly, is to process
all -F options on the command line first, in left to
right order, and then process the other options, in
left to right order.

   That will tackle much of the problems, but there is
still one difficult situation, what to do with the
additive options "-i", "-r", "-w".  If you have them
on the command line, do we blow away the existing
lists?  What to do if I have this situation:

   argus -i eth0 -i eth1

do you only get /dev/eth1?

One solution is to have [-|+] before these additive

   argus -i +eth0 -i +eth1

and then finally, should we support this type of
directive?

   argus -i eth0 eth1

Opinions?

Carter