Using tcpdump input

Steve McInerney spm at healthinsite.gov.au
Thu Mar 27 15:40:25 EST 2003

Andrew,

Out of curiousity: have you thought of sending this problem to "The
Silicon Kid" in the Canberra Times? He should be able to help! ;-)

More seriously:
What about setting tcpdump to only capture the headers, rather than the
full packet (default setting)? Possibly look at reducing/removing the
disk IO bottleneck, and send the resulting file to a RAM disk???

FWIW I've had great success with tcptrace (http://www.tcptrace.org) when
it comes to analyzing individual tcp flows and such. Particulary useful
when you throw the resulting data to xplot and can see where packets are
going and when - and the retries etc graphically! The Time Sequence
graph should really help at showing dropped packets.

Perhaps, rather than a random file, use a structured file such that you
could (more or less) re-build the file from tcpdump captured output, and
thus verify if packets are being dropped?

my 2c for the day.

- Steve