Using tcpdump input

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Mar 27 08:12:34 EST 2003

Hey Andrew,
   Tcpdump's problem is that it has to write each
packet to disk, which is a huge bottleneck.  Tcpdump
can only report on packets dropped that it can
detect have been dropped, which doesn't cover the
most likely packet loss points in the packet
capture path.

   Use ra() with the -A option to get it to report
actual application bytes transferred.  That should
be your number, if things are working right.

Carter