IPsec flows

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Mar 12 18:45:50 EST 2003

Hey Ciaran,
   The flow identifier for IPSec does indeed include the
SPI.  While IPSec flows can have differing SPI's for
the ingress and egress flows, this is of course not
always the case, and so for those implementations that
do pair the SPI's, argus is doing the right thing.

   Because argus is tracking packet loss for EPS,
we definitely do not want to ignore the SPI.  If you
want to aggregate eps protocol flows together to
provide an aggregated view, use ragator().

   The ARGUS_FLOW_STATUS_INTERVAL specifies how often
argus will report on the status of a persistent flow.
Your IPSec tunnels are not being renegotiated, they
are just bursty, obviously with 10-30 second idle times.
This is why your record durations are not 360.  Duration
is just ((last packet time) - (first packet time)).  When
a new packet comes in for a given flow, if argus
realizes that the combined flow duration would exceed the
ARGUS_FLOW_STATUS_INTERVAL, it writes the cached flow
information out, and then starts accumulating for the flow
again.

Hope this helps.

Carter