ra oddities

Steve McInerney spm at healthinsite.gov.au
Thu Mar 6 18:56:11 EST 2003

Hi,

got a bit of an odd one here:

We have an argus output file that has gotten corrupted. I believe it was
due to a powerfail, and then compounded by a lack of argus outfile
rotation on restart. Ouch.

Consequently the 2.0.5 version of ra can read thru to the point of the
failure, but no further - which is a bummer as that's only about 400Mb
ish thru a 680Mb ish uncompressed file...

Being optimistic, I thought I'd give the ra version from
argus-clients-2.0.6.beta.38 a whirl. Curiously it doesn't even get as
far as the 2.0.5 ra. Like about 9 days earlier. Which is, needless to
say but will anyway, odd. There's no system reasons that I'm aware of
that would have caused anything evil at that point in time.

FWIW, the original file is a gz, if I run the 2.0.5 ra against the
compressed file it segfaults at the point of the corruption. If I
manually uncompress or feed via zcat to stdin, no segfault, no warning -
just not enough records....
The beta 38 ra doesn't give any messages as to why it's dropped earlier
unless, same as 2.0.5, it's also dealing directly with the compressed
file. Then you get: "ArgusWarning: ra[3002]: ArgusReadSocketStream:
malformed argus record len 0"

Any thoughts/suggestions as to what I could do/try to get access to the
rest of the file? My current thinking is along the lines of "binary cut
the early ok part and corruption bit's from the start of the
uncompressed file; ra the post corruption as a separate file". I have no
idea how easy or difficult this will/would be. :-)

Thanks

- Steve