packet data capture in argus-clients.b37

David Ressman davidr at portnoy.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 2 16:27:30 EST 2003

Hi all,

I've been playing around with the argus-tools beta 37 package, and
everything appears to work well, except for one.  For some reason,
it seems to be ignoring the user data capture fields when I ask it
to print them out with the "-d" option.

We make extensive use of this option in our production environment (an
argus-2.0.6b5 server feeding to an argus-2.0.6b1 client).

I installed the argus-clients package because there was lots of nifty
stuff in it that I wanted to try out, but when I tried to use the b37
ra client to read out an argus file written with the 2.0.6b1 client
(captured by the 2.0.6b5 server) with "ra -nr /some/argus.file -d 64",
I got all of the flow data, but the user data stuff just wasn't in the
output.

I tried using the b37 ra client to capture flow data from the 2.0.6b5
server, and that worked fine, but I still couldn't access any of the
user data, I know that the user data was definitely in the files
because I could read it with the 2.0.6b1 client.  I just can't get
the b37 client to see the data.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening?

Thanks,

David

David Ressman                          davidr at uchicago.edu
Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml