ra output: 0 packet counts and portless UDP transactions

Chris Cutler cutler at securepipe.com
Tue Dec 16 11:02:41 EST 2003

Hello,

My apologies if the following questions are hopelessly newbie-ish, in the
wrong forum or frequently asked here (the archive at
http://www.qosient.com/argus/theorygroup.htm) is down:

* I'm using ra -c -n to look at some argus data and I've run into several
  lines where the source and destinaciton packet counts are 0.  How shall
  I interpret this (it makes no sense to me).  For example:

  19 Nov 03 12:03:33    tcp  X.X.X.X.27308  ->     X.X.X.X.80    0        2         0            140         FIN

* Also, I've come across some very strange udp transactions in which the
  source and destination host addresses lack ports.  This is deeply
  puzzling.  For example:

  24 Nov 03 15:25:18    udp  X.X.X.X        ->     X.X.X.X       1        0         54           0           TIM

I'm using argus version 2.0.5.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris