beta.13 (and beta.12) insect

Neil Long neil.long at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Aug 25 12:32:34 EDT 2003

Yep - my collectors are running 1.8.mumble and although they grew in size
the scripts (and Russell's watcher script's 'ra' ) suffered from the volume
of flows.

I split the analysis scripts across 2 machines while we had huge inbound and
outbound so that I could see the outbound ones and clobber them (and the
sub-net they resided in) until we can get the traffic back under control. It
is a 3-day weekend here so for breathing space the network admins dropped
all icmp in-out at the border - savage and stuff breaks but then IP is
remarkably resilient - won't be when people start back tomorrow :-)

many thanks Carter, Russell and Peter - Argus+ has done a really great job
here and now all we need is to get all those systems patched.... sigh...

cheers
Neil