ra: Argument list too long

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Aug 24 16:22:10 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 17:52, Mahlon E. Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003, Eric wrote:
> >
> > Doh! We're rotating files every 5 minutes due to disk limitations.
> >
> > What variables can I modify to fix this?
> >
> > $ ra -r */*/argus*
> > -bash: /usr/local/bin/ra: Argument list too long
>

> % ls */*/argus* | xargs ra -r

This isn't quite the same.  This runs ra on the files individually, this
probably does not matter with ra but it will for other clients like
racount and ragator.

Hmmm... Carter is it worth adding an input file list to the config file?

I have had similar problems with my look-for script which can generate
extremely long command lines if you want to do a months data.
--
Russell Fulton, Network Security Officer, The University of Auckland,
New Zealand.