ragator

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Apr 2 08:43:19 EST 2003

Hey Andrew,
   ragator() can correct argus's determination of
direction if needed, and so you'll get some shifting
of source and destination semantics.  The total is
the key to assuring that ragator() isn't throwing
something away.

   As an example, if you have a telnet connection
from A -> B, and you go to lunch, argus will drop
the connection from its cache.  When you come back
and type a character, the connection, from argus's
perspective, will be a new connection, but without
the SYN <-> SYNACK exchange it won't know what the
actual direction is.  So, in this case, it is
possible for a single flow to have multiple records
with the flow identifiers flipping from record
to record.

   Ragator corrects this problem by identifying the
condition and normalizing the data.

Carter