Identity theft

David Nolan vitroth+ at cmu.edu
Thu Sep 12 08:30:40 EDT 2002

--On Thursday, September 12, 2002 8:20 AM -0400 Carter Bullard
<carter at qosient.com> wrote:

>    Please accept my apologies.  It seems that I got hit
> by a new variant of an old virus.  New virus definitions
> loaded, hope that's sufficient.

Are you sure you were actually hit?  The mail looks forged to me, unless
you're in Japan right now.

This looks like the Klez virus, which likes to find email addresses on an
infected user's machine and forge mail to one of the addresses from
another.  It even looks through the user's web cache to find addresses, so
if the infected person has browsed the Argus pages recently that may have
been the source of addresses.

-David Nolan
 Network Software Developer
 Computing Services