argus[14372]: daemon cannot create new pid file

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Oct 28 21:26:50 EST 2002

Hey Gene,
   You may not have permission to write into the
system directory that holds daemon pid files.  Are
you running as root?  There is a configuration
parameter in argus.conf files that you can use to
turn pid file creation off.  Set

ARGUS_SET_PID=no

in a either the system /etc/argus.conf file, or in
a private argus.conf file.  With a private argus.conf
file, use the -F option.

       argus -F argus.conf -P 561 -w testfile

There is a sample configuration, ./support/Config/argus.conf
that you can use as a template.

You may still have problems, as most machines require
you to be root to access interfaces, especially in
promiscuous mode.  Running as root should solve
the pid file error.

Hope this helps,

Carter