How to read ra() output

Andrew Pollock andrew-argus at andrew.net.au
Tue Oct 22 16:28:41 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:16:33AM -0400, Carter Bullard wrote:
> Hey Andrew,
> > Hi,
> [snip]
> >
> > >From the ra(1) it says you don't see the EST state unless
> > your running
> > your server in DETAIL mode. I couldn't find any further references to
> > DETAIL mode in argus(8) or argus.conf(1) (and shouldn't that
> > be in section
> > 5 btw?)
>
> Earlier versions of argus had a DETAIL mode, which generated argus
> records on any flow state transition.  This was removed when we
> went from 1.x to 2.0.  It was really for demonstration purposes,
> more than anything, since it generated so many records.  I've
> just removed all references to DETAIL in the ra.1 man page.
> Man pages generally haven't been high on the maintenance list.
> But I'm very glad that you're helping to point out these problems.

No problem, thanks for clearing that one up for me.

> argus.conf(5) now reports that its argus.conf.5.
>

> > I've got zeros in the SrcPkt and SrcBytes column and varying
> > values in the
> > DstPkt and DstBytes columns.
>
> Seems that you're only seeing one-half of the traffic?  Argus
> can make the REQ/INT, EST/CON, FIN/RST/TIM determination for
> TCP traffic when looking at only one half of the connection.

Eeek. I'll investigate this further. From another host (the one doing the
SSH checks that I mentioned in another email) I'm seeing byte counts in
both directions, so it's not an across the board problem.

> > I would have thought that given I'm looking at proxy traffic
> > flows, I'd
> > see some packets from the source (i.e. the GET request),
> > followed by the
> > content being returned by the proxy server. Where's my GET
> > request? Is it
> > tangled up in the EST record that I'm not seeing? All the records for
> > flows between the host I'm interested in and the proxy server
> > have zero in
> > the source packets and bytes field.
>
> Argus generates status records, that is, records that report the
> activity of existing and continuing flows based on a status timer.
> This timer, by default, is 60 seconds.  If a flow's lifetime is
> less that this, then all the traffic for that flow/transaction will
> be contained in a single record.

Ah, okay. So that said, if a proxy server transaction lasts less than one
minute, you'd see one record, most probably with a FIN state, with bytes
in both directions?

> > If I'm looking at a record that has a FIN state, and it's the
> > only record
> > for that source IP and port to the destination and port, is
> > it fair to say
> > that everything that happened in that flow is reported in
> > that one record?
>
> There are a number of possible reasons why you would only be
> seeing 1/2 of the transaction traffic.  Asymmetric routing, NAT
> and incomplete port mirroring (assuming you're getting your packets
> from a switch/router) are high candidates.

So I suppose if I run a tcpdump on the same host as Argus and look at the
traffic contents, and am I seeing the GET requests for this proxy server
traffic, but Argus isn't, then I've got myself some serious problems?

Andrew