detached ra collection?

Joe Christy joe at eshu.net
Tue Nov 12 17:10:45 EST 2002

I run ra outside my firewall and, for security reasons, would like to
automoagically archive the the collected data on a machine inside. It
seems like "ra -S firewall -w secure-archive" would be just the thing,
if I could run ra, *detached* from its parent process, launched from an
init script (which would also send it a sigterm to flush its buffers at
system shutdown).

Poring over the documentation and a little experimentation hasn't
yielded a simple minded way to do this.

Surely someone else has faced this problem, so before I hack a perl
wrapper to fork() and setsid() an ra, I thought I'd ask if this
particular whell has already been invented.

--
---- Voice:831/423-7151 --- Mobile:650/483-9123 --- FAX:831/469-0804 ---