packet size descrepency

Matthew Melvin matthewm at webcentral.com.au
Sat Nov 9 07:49:32 EST 2002

I've been tinkering with argus over the last couple of days for using argus
for traffic accounting.  To try and check myself and make sure I'm getting
sane numbers I've been comparing racount's view or things with ipchains view
of things.  It seems as if for every packet counted argus see 14 extra bytes
that ipchains doesn't.  That would seem consistant with argus including the
src and dst mac's and length/type fields from the ethernet packet in its
total byte count.  Does that mean that 'ARGUS_GENERATE_MAC_DATA=no' only
turns off the recording of MAC information not the counting of it.  Or am I
completly on the wrong track?

M.

--
:wq