pid file issues

Yotam Rubin yotam at makif.omer.k12.il
Tue Mar 19 20:52:13 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:48:52PM -0500, Carter Bullard wrote:
[...]
>    If we allow argus to specify the pid file directory,
> we can prevent bad pid filename choices, if we support
> pid filenames, then we can't prevent anything, which is
> ok at one level, and somewhat irresponsible on the other?

The situation still remains, if a malicious user has sufficient access[1]
to create an arbitrary PID file, why would he need argus to create the pid
file for him? I mean, why can't he simply "echo somepid > /var/run/identd.run"?
argus should run under the assumption that it trusts its users. This sort
of attack can only be carried out by a user with relevant access.
I will not reiterate my claims further, because I believe I've made myself
pretty clear.

	Regards, Yotam Rubin

[1] Of course, argus can be setuid root, but then the admin has an entirely
    different set of problems.