argus command-line parameter handling

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jun 14 12:52:24 EDT 2002

Hey Chris,
   There are several complex behaviors in argus, resulting in
some confusion, and I think you're describing the biggest
one.  I think the problem is that the Argus project is
going to provide maximum flexibility, rather than trying to
keep the user from shooting themselves.  And of course the
documentation sucks, but then again it is free ;o)

   One bug that I will try to fix is preventing argus from
reading the same interface more than once.  That is not that
easy of a thing when some Linuxs support the 'any' interface,
but I'll give it a try.  We could just exit if argus reads
the same configuration file more than once, or warns if its
reading the same conf more than once?

   The real question for the list is "should argus read
the system /etc/argus.conf if the user specifies another
configuration file".  The answer many, many years ago was
yes, this would allow you to have system defaults and the
user configuration file would modify them.  This was decided
when argus could only read one interface at a time.  Now that
argus can read multiple interfaces, should this be changed?

   Programmatically, this is a bit awkward, since the getopt()
way of dealing with command line options is to deal with them
one at a time, in left to right order.  So, you have to
parse potentially a number of options before you realize that
the user has specified a configuration file, so what do you
do then?  Do you revert to a clean slate, add back the processed
options and then read the configuration file?  That's kinda
complex, isn't it?  and then what to do if they specify two
or more configuration files?

   I'd love to hear some comments on this, if anyone has
any!

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022