Just plain confused (WAS RE: confused about racount)

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jul 29 23:04:32 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 13:06, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I'm just generally confused about how to use Argus, so I'll just ask
> some basic questions instead of building on (possibly incorrect) assumptions.
>
> I want to work out how much inbound traffic is being sent to my webserver. Just
> a single IP address. Do I have to munge some ra (or other r tool) output myself,
> or can I just get a straight total (this is what I thought racount was for)?
>
> What I was doing was issuing:
>
> racount -r /var/log/argus/argus.log* - dst mywebserver

This selects *flows* where the destination address is your webserver.
Argus deals in whole (bidirectional) flows which have two directional
components so this is where the two counts come from.  I think this is
where your confusion lies -- scr does not select traffic to your
webserver, it selects flows where the web server is the destination.

> But the two sets of total bytes had me confused.

 total_bytes        src_bytes        dst_bytes

I.e. total bytes in both directions
     bytes from the source --  This is the one you want (urls etc)
     bytes from the destination (data from the server)

> If I just run an
>
> ra -r /var/log/argus/argus.log* - dst mywebserver
>
> the "count" part of the output still includes two byte counts, so it's just as
> confusing.
The meaning is the same.

> I also wanted to do protocol breakdowns, so I could see how much inbound HTTP
> traffic I'd received, SSH traffic etc etc.
>
> I figured I'd just add a "dst port 22" to the pcap expression of the r tool that
> I end up using.

Yep that will work.

using ragator and ramon you can slice and dice the data many way in one
go and saves doing many passed with racount.

'It aint necessarily so'  - Gershwin