argus showing packets tcpdump does not?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Apr 19 09:58:46 EDT 2002

Hey Kevin,
   The example record that you sent was a "man" record,
or internal argus management record.  The address in
this record is the argus probe identifier, which is
229.97.122.203.  This is not data on the wire, but a
record that states how many flows, packets, bytes, etc,
that this particular argus has seen in the last interval.

   The best way to test if there is multicast in your
argus data is to use a ra filter like:

   ra -r file - multicast

These man records should not come up.

Sorry if this was a wild goose chase.  You may want to
try ratop(), out of the argus-clients distribution to
try to figure out what is going on in your network.
ftp://qosient.com/dev/argus-2.0

I have new versions that should come out in 2-3 weeks,
if the ratop that is there gives you too much trouble.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com