racount and src/dst byte counts

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Sep 27 12:38:59 EDT 2001

Hey Desmond,
   Your making it much too complicated.  You can
easily do what you've mentioned with argus and its
simple tools.  I gave you a pretty complicated ragrep
example to give you some ideas of what you can do,
like read multiple compressed files, and pipe its
output to other ra* programs, not to limit your
thinking in any way.

   Because ramon() is specifically designed to supply
you with the basic in and out packet counts that you
are looking for, I would recommend that you work
with ramon() for a while.

   When you filter for specific hosts or exclude a
service or ethernet address, you may not get the
counts you expect.  But if you are concerned
about the accuracy, there are a number of things
you can do to test the numbers you get.

   Like all ra* programs, ramon can write its output
as argus records, so you can pipe the output to
programs like racount().

   ramon -w - -r file - host x.y.z.w | racount

and you can compare the output to the original
file with the same filter applied.

   racount -r file - host x.y.z.w

the total_pkts and total_bytes that you get from ramon
data should be 2x the numbers that you get from racount
alone.  This is because ramon is counting in and out
metrics for each IP address, so you'll be counting
the same packet twice.  The src and dst counts will
not be the same, as the semantics of what is the src
and what is the dst are changed.  But the totals will
be accurate.

With ramon, src_pkts are out_packets or transmitted
packets, dst_pkts are in_packets or the received
packets.  Same holds true for bytes.

The newest version of the argus-client package has
better labels for these fields.  This should be out
in a few weeks.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022