ra as a 'daemon'; filtering by timerange

Christian Martin c.martin at jesus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 03:52:20 EST 2001

First, congratulations and thanks to all involved for an excellent and
well-featured product.  I have been looking for something like argus for
some time, and it (nearly :) does everything I need and more.

Apologies if this is off-topic; please feel free to flame me if it's not
appropriate for the forum.

I have a question regarding the use of ra on a linux system.  I am running
ra [v2.0.1] as a quasi-daemon on a logging server, dumping records from a
remote argus server to a file.  A logrotate script runs at midnight,
effectively chopping my argus records into compressed 24-hour chunks.  I'm
keeping traffic logs on a fairly long-term basis, and there's a fair amount
of traffic on the network (argus is pumping out about 800Mb a day,
uncompressed), and have found per-date argus files to be the most manageable
solution.

So far, so good.  However, I'm investigating the use of argus to charge
users according to network use.  Our upstream provider does not charge
during the hours of 1:00am-6:00am, so we can't pass on a charge during these
hours.  Is there a way of excluding a certain time range from an ra enquiry?
At the moment, I'm using separate ra commands thus:

ra -r argus.out -t 00-01 -w argus.1
ra -r argus.out -t 07-23:59:59 -w argus.2

... and passing both result sets to an raclient tool for analysis.  This
seems rather clunky and inelegant: is there a better way of doing the job?
It would also be handy to capture the extra second between 11:59:59pm and
midnight...  Ideally, I would like to be able to divide network sessions
which cross my time boundary, allowing me to charge only for the chargeable
portion.  Perhaps it would be better to run three instances of the 'daemon',
writing to three separate files - one filtered to '-t 00:00-01:00', one to
'-t 01:00-07:00' and one to '-t 07:00-23:59:59' - and then glue the files
together at the end of the day.  Any suggestions?

Also, I'm seeing quite a few instances of a zero dtime - 01 Jan 70
01:00:00 - usually where TCP transactions have been reset.  Is this a bug?

Incidentally, if anyone new to argus is reading the archive and wants a copy
of my various config files, I'd be happy to oblige.  My argus server
(actually a firewall) runs a 2.4 Linux kernel, and the logging server (that
is, the argus client) runs Debian linux.  I'm not sure if running ra as a
quasi-daemon is the best solution for a logging server - other suggestions
welcome - but it has been doing the job for weeks without a glitch...

Many thanks in advance,

Christian

--
Christian Martin
IT Department
e-mail: c.martin at jesus.cam.ac.uk
telephone: +44-1223-339944

---
Jeffrey T. Eaton                    esp              jeaton+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Research Systems Programmer                      Carnegie-Mellon University