some questions

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Nov 16 08:30:43 EST 2001

Hey Chris,
   These questions are best answered on the argus
mailing list, so I hope you don't mind.

   Because argus maps ICMP packet to actual flows,
we'll report any ICMP event that pertains to a given
flow.  With ra(), this show up as a 'I' indication
in the indicator field.  So, yes, if a flow is redirected,
or if it failed to reach its destination because of
Unreachable status, for whatever reason, we will report
it.

   With regard to any identifier changing, MAC
address, VLAN tag, MPLS tag, TOS, TTL.  Because these
identifiers can affect how the network treats packets,
Argus provides an indication of the dynamic change of
the network.  A change in TTL indicates that your packets
are going over a dynamically changing path, which may
explain why your not seeing the performance you expect,
or that there is routing instability somewhere in the
network.  A change in TOS may explain why your packet
loss metrics unexpectedly increased.

Hope this helps,

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K