Ok, really, the last one.....ragator question

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Nov 14 19:22:32 EST 2001

Hey Wozz,
   The issue is the '?' in the direction indicator.
Because argus is absolutely stateful, and it is saying
that it doesn't know precisely who the source or the
destination is (because it didn't see a SYN or a SYN_ACK
before it saw the FIN).  With the '?' its saying that
the src and dst assignments may not be reliable.

   What probably happened is that argus timed the original
flow out, before the stray FIN came in, and because there
is no flow cache, it treats the lone FIN without any
context.

   There is a solution.  First pass your traffic through
ragator with no configuration.  It will correct the '?'.
If there was a flow that this FIN belongs to, and it gets
loaded into ragator before the FIN record is loaded, then
it will discover the correct direction and merge the FIN
report into the parent flow.

   If there was no original flow, then this may be a
security issue, since many scans work by sending FIN's
to unknown ports and watching what comes back.

   With regard to your original configuration, you should
only need one line in your configuration. Unless you
expect b to originate TCP connections to a's port 25,
which would seem unlikely.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022