a few questions

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 31 00:46:27 EDT 2001

Hi All,
	I'm setting up a new argus server and doing it all from scratch
using 2.0.1 distribution.  In particular I am building new start up
scripts and putting everything in 'config' files.

It is a debian linux system so the sample rc file does not work out of
the box so I am hacking it.

Questions/observations:

Argus does not seem to create a pid file even though I ask for it in
the config file,

when I start argus from the command line with -F I get the message:
rful011 at hihi:~$ argus_linux[2361]: : No such file or directory

It is finding and reading the config file (I got syntax errors before)
and it creates the output file (as per config file)
rful011 at hihi:~$ ls -l ~argus/data/current
-rw-r--r--    1 root     argus           0 May 31 16:26
/home/argus/data/current

before dying with the above error.

starting argus from the command line works fine:
rful011 at hihi:~$ sudo ~argus/bin/argus_linux -d -i eth1 -w
~argus/data/current
argus_linux[2368]: started

but still no pid file in /var/run

Puzzled