'packet engine' discussion.

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 20 16:04:04 EST 2001

Hi Chris,
	My collegue Nevil Brownlee (author of Netramet and now half
time at CAIDA, but is sometimes resident in the offic next door ;-)
also has links with the WAND group at University of Waikato (about 100
miles south of Auckland).  The WAND group have been building special
ATM cards for monitoring network traffic (they are currently working on
OC48 and I think I have gigabit ethernet card on the go as well.  These
cards are designed for monitoring with lots of smarts (and a GPS
synched clock on the card to extract headers and provide very accurate
time stamps.  The card are expensive (several thousand dollars each)
but at the moment they are only getting a few made.  If there was a
demand for them then prices could come down substantially.

I know they are also looking at inovative 'PC' architecture for their
next generation card which will overun any conventional machine.

Nevil is in the US at the moment but will be coming back after IETF so
I can get some more details then.

In the meantime here is their url http://wand.cs.waikato.ac.nz/