What to do in this situation

Scott A. McIntyre scott at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 15 12:35:54 EST 2001

Hi,

(Gosh, something from me that isn't a crash report....)

> I like this idea as well.  What I am working on, partially has to do with DoS
> attacks, and though I know there will be times when a machine/argus just can't
> keep up to the traffic levels, it should try veyr hard at warning someone
> real, about the problem.  So, I like the graduated warning when argus is
> nearing it's limits.  I also like the idea of a 'last ditch effort', where

This begs the question, is it possible to have argus have a "traffic
threshold" for reporting any one flow type?   This would dramatically
reduce the load on a machine.

Perhaps this is difficult to implement however.

What I have in mind is specifying a maximum number of packets or bytes
between any two points (src, dst, sport, dport, whatever); beyond that
amount information alerting that the threshold has been exceeded is
logged, but no more data will be recorded for T timeticks (variable).

Dynamic filters, in other words.

(I think I just heard Carter groan)

Scott