What to do in this situation

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Mar 15 08:44:12 EST 2001

Hey Neil,
   The real question I suppose is this. "Is the file
writing of such importance, that if it fails, then
argus should exit?"  I think the answer is yes.

   If writing out to the file is just incapable of
keeping up with the load, then tossing records
seems like the right thing to do, rather than stopping.

   I'm pretty convinced that the errors that we've been
seeing lately can be resolved with tuning max queue
depth values, error tolerance and back off scheduling.
Argus-2.0.0 can use some performance improvements,
but what we gain with the queues and processes is much
better than what we had with 1.8, in terms of reliability
and packet processing performance under load (at least
when we get these bugs out of the way ;o)

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com