Monitoring and reporting network usage

Sean Kelly sean.kelly at the-web-works.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 12:11:27 EDT 2001

Hi there,

	Argus has been suggested to me by the people on the NeTraMet mailing
list as a suitable application:  I have a need to monitor and then report on
per IP bandwidth usage, and am looking to replace my current application
with a more powerful (read: more features) one.

	I am currently using a program called 'Snuffle' on a FreeBSD box
(600Mhz, 64Mb RAM) with an RTL8139-based network card.  The following two
observations have been made to me:

- FreeBSD offers better packet capture ability than Linux

- the RTL8139-based cards are poor for packet capture

	First off, does anyone have any comments they would care to share on
the above points?

	Secondly, is Argus a suitable choice for my needs?

	Thanks in advance,

--
Sean Kelly <sean.kelly at the-web-works.co.uk>