Worm attacks

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Jul 23 11:44:27 EDT 2001

Hey Peter,
   Thanks, I am primarily interested in methods for detecting
infested servers from the logs.  Yours is really nice because
its not vulnerability signature detection, it's actually a
general behavioral deviation test, so that no matter if the
worm got on through the network, a modem, or a floopy disk,
you'll pick up the behavioral changes that the worm induces.

   One thing I'm very interested in is detection of the first
covert channel that is used to move the worm to the system.
This should be easily detected by a packet/byte count disparity
of a single HTTP session to a candiate server.  This would
really be dramatically different than any other port 80
connection to the infested server, and give you a thread back
to the source of the problem.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022