Argus starts and dies.

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Jan 31 08:31:34 EST 2001

Hey Yotam,
   There are a number of reasons why argus might exit.
Can't open the interface, can't set the pid file,
can't create the output file.  All of these generate
error messages, and when argus exits it should print
an exit message to the system log file.

   If argus is not printing anything at all, and there
are no messages in the system log file, then we'll
need to turn on debugging to get argus to tell us whats
wrong.

   First thing is, are you using an /etc/argus.conf file,
or is there an argus.conf file in your home directory
that argus could be using that you are not aware of?
In order to eliminate this possibility, try:

   % argus -Xi ppp0 -w xxx

the '-X' reverts all configuration to default.

   To turn on debugging, you'll have to rebuild
argus with the right tags.  I'd recommend doing this.
In your argus release directory:

   % touch .debug
   % touch .devel
   % make clobber
   % ./configure
   % make

With the new argus that you get from this, then run
argus with these options:

   % argus -d 3 -i ppp0 -w xxx

and lets see what it prints out.

QoSient, LLC