argus-2.0.0V and Beta release status

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Jan 30 10:56:04 EST 2001

Gentle people,
   Argus-2.0.0V will be ready this afternoon with a number
of changes to get ready for the release.

   One of the changes is significant, as it modifies the
argus record.  This change is needed to fix support for
the -A option for all protocols.  Until now, the -A option
only worked for TCP flows.  Now its working for all protocols.
This will be the last change in the argus data format
for the complete Argus-2.x series.  If the change creates
major problems for anyone, please send mail ASAP.

   Because we have what appears to be a stable version, I'd
like to move to Beta status for Argus-2.0.  If there are no
major gotchas, "V" will become Argus-2.0.beta.1.
Contributed software will be added during the Beta period,
so Russell and Clauss, and any one else, if I've missed
something, your stuff will have time to be tested and
included before final release.

   I would like to get the package ready for Beta release
by Monday, Feb 5th, and have a tiny little announcement
designed to increase the testing group to 20-100 sites.
We'll have it available for ftp download from CMU and QoSient.
This should involve tarfiles and rpm, srpm (?).

   Because its Beta, it doesn't have to be perfect, but it
should be looking good.  There is still work to be done on
documentation, which I will be working on from now on, as
long as there aren't any real bug/code show stoppers.

   At this point, the official release is dependant on only
2 factors.  The package itself, and I'd say that we are 95%
there, and the availability of the web site that will be
Argus's home, which should be up in about 2 weeks.  So we
are definitely getting much closer.

   Thanks for all the work, but sorry for the last minute
change to argus().

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022