ra* option opinion

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Sun Jan 28 15:29:25 EST 2001

Hey William,
   Actually ra only needs a "-" to indicate the
end of the -r option, which is almost always the
beginning of the filter.  Maybe the documentation
needs more clarification here.  This incantation
works fine.

   ra -r file -n tcp and not host 1.2.3.4

and so does this.

   ra tcp

where ra gets its data could be specified in the
.rarc or data could be piped in like this:

   argus -r pktfile -w - | ra tcp

We decided to allow multiple filenames with only one
"-r" indicator, so you could do something like this:

   ra -r */*.gz

So to indicate the end of the -r option we need
a - somewhere, either by itself or as an indication
of another option.

I don't know of a solution other than a "-".  We
could put the filter expression in quotes, preceeded
with an option of its own, like we do with argus
and the '-w filename "filter"' option, but that bites.

Does anyone have a better idea?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022