argus-2.0.0Q, RA clients that buffer and dump data.

Chris Newton newton at unb.ca
Tue Jan 16 10:12:18 EST 2001

>===== Original Message From <carter at qosient.com> =====
>Hey Chris,
>In the argus-2.0 package we have a few clients
>that do buffer records and write them all out
>when they are done, rasort(), ramon() and ragator().
>But they terminate, at the time they "flush" all
>their data.
>
>However you maybe able to do what you want with
>the existing package.  I would be this:
>
>   ra -S remotehost -w ra.out &
>
>This generates a persistent ra that is gathering
>records from remote host and putting the records
>it gets into the file ra.out. Have that running
>constantly.  The file ra.out is your buffer.
>
>Now every 10 minutes you can have a shell script
>that mv's ra.out to another filename, say tempfile.
>The persistent running ra (above) will recreate
>ra.out when it goes to write out its next record
>from the remote argus record.  All the ra* programs
>will recreate their output when they realizes that
>it no longer exists.
>
>This strategy gives you your 10 minute argus data
>buffer.  Now you can use any ra* file to process
>it.

  That might work in fact, however, I was thinking more like 10 seconds...
will ra still behave properly?  Also, do I understand correctly, that I could
start argus, to write it's output to a detailed binary argus file, AND ask ra
to output ascii text flow records with ra -w file?  If so, this would work
really well for me.

>It also would be very straight forward to add this
>feature to one of the ra* programs, but ...
>I'm trying to imagine what your application.  That
>might help me to understand how I can help.

  Basically, I am trying to generate flow statistics for our link, at a high
time resolution (relatively), like about 10 seconds and up... max, of no more
than 5 minutes.  I'll take these flow statistics and generate byte and packet
counts for our link.

>Is the desire to aggregate common records together
>before you "burst" them, or do you want to sort them?
>What are they flushing there data to, a pipe or a
>socket, stdout or a file?

  The idea is to 'right now' (10 seconds of now), generate byte counts and
packet counts for the link.  ie: quasi realtime.  I don't want to process an
hour/day's worth of flow data at the end of the day/hour.  So, the idea is to
recieve a burst, that represents all the IN/OUT traffic that happened in that
10 seconds.  I'll then use something like MRTG to graph it, or some other tool
(rrdtool, gdchart, or others... havent decided what it will be yet).  I know I
could generate byte and packet counts in easier ways, but I want the flow logs
around to look at later if I see problems.

>Carter
>
>Carter Bullard
>QoSient, LLC
>300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K