argus-2.0.0Q, RA clients that buffer and dump data.

Chris Newton newton at unb.ca
Tue Jan 16 07:30:03 EST 2001

Hi all,

  I was wondering if ra could be made (I don't think it does this currently),
to read from a remote argus server, or file, and buffer it's output for a
specified time period.

  Basically, I have an application for argus (I am currently using another
flow generation software, that has fallen from active development, and so I
wish to discontinue it's use), where I need the client that reads from the
server, to burst it's output on an interval.  IE:  ra -burst 10, would cause
ra to read from the server for 10 seconds, and then dump the output to stdout,
instead of it's current behavior of automatically dumping to stdout, all
stream it reads from the argus server/file.

  Is this doable with the way ra is currently architected?  If you haven't
guessed, I'm no C programmer, unfortunatly.

  Or, does anyone know of a program that is designed to buffer, like I mention
above, that I can simply dump ra output into continously?  Something like:

  ra {parameters} | buffer -burst 10

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

>===== Original Message From <carter at qosient.com> =====
>Gentle people,
>   Argus-2.0.0Q is now available.
>ftp://qosient.com/dev/argus/argus-2.0/argus-2.0.0Q.tar.gz
>This release has a minor change to argus to tag IPX SAP
>transactions with the correct ethernet type.  Other changes
>have been format or cosmetic. Not a major modification
>to argus.
>
>The majority of the work in this release is in docs and
>man pages.  The FAQ has some new diagrams and the man1
>pages have some improvements, particularly ra.1, rasort.1,
>and rapath.1.
>
>Please use this version for all testing.
>
>Unless we get a bug report on argus this week, argus
>server software is now frozen.  Client software is now
>the focus of all last effort development.
>
>Thanks for all the testing!!!!!
>
>Carter
>

>Carter Bullard
>QoSient, LLC
>300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
>New York, New York  10022
>
>carter at qosient.com
>Phone +1 212 813-9426
>Fax   +1 212 813-9426

Chris Newton, Systems Analyst
Computing Services, University of New Brunswick
newton at unb.ca 506-447-3212(voice) 506-453-3590(fax)