User data

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Feb 28 21:27:38 EST 2001

Hey Russell,

The argus.conf file is where all the documentation for
the -U option is/has been.  This will change tonight.

With regard to your filter problem, you forgot that
the -w option also takes a filter, so the filter error
you got was with the -w option, not the terminating
filter.  In order to tell argus that the -w doesn't
have a filter you need to put a '-', if you want
the filter to apply to the -w option, then you need to
put it in '"' quotes.  Yeah, it has gotten complicated.

So if you want to filter the incoming packets your
expression should be:

   argus -i sis0 -w data/telnet2 - dst net 130.216 and dst port 23

if you want to get all the packets, but just write out the
specific records.

   argus -i sis0 -w data/telnet2 "dst net 130.216 and dst port 23"

With the -U option.  There is a limit as to how much
data you can collect, and that's around 496 bytes
in each direction.  There will be a hard limit imposed
on input in the final version, but its not there right now.
If we want more sophisticated -U processing, then it will be
in 2.0.1.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022