Argus tweaking and design considerations

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri Feb 23 11:03:53 EST 2001

<snip>
> >	The first step in this is to do what I started out to do and
> >characterize what load a given CPU/motherboard chipset/interface
> card/operating
> >system configuration will handle with argus which tells us were we are
> >compared to where we want to be (and what the bottlenecks are to getting
> there).
>

>   Grat idea Peter.  I'd be very interested in working on a project related to
> this if you/'a team' start down this road.  I might even (if we get our
> project funded), eventually have man power to throw at such a thing.
>

> Chris
>
> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
>
> Chris Newton, Systems Analyst
> Computing Services, University of New Brunswick
> newton at unb.ca 506-447-3212(voice) 506-453-3590(fax)

	The bottom one is a game any number can play :-) Anzen's tcpreplay
package (and some mods I have to make it do full duplex which of course
aren't finished yet) and a generic PC with a pair of Intel or 3C905B cards
and cheap 7200 RPM UDMA 66 IDE disks (probably 2 for fdx)  will provide a 100
(at least hdx, not sure about fdx yet) traffic source from tcpdump input to
give you a known and reproducable input traffic source. Then all you need is a
machine you want to test and time (it this last one I'm having trouble
with :-)). 10 of them and a 100baseT switch with a wire speed Gig uplink port
gives you a GIG testbed. Then you publish the complete configuration and the
numbers. The idea is given the speed of the link you want to sniff you can pick
a machine that should be able to keep up to full speed.