last chance for installation target comments

Scott A. McIntyre scott at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 23 01:43:31 EST 2001

Hi,

>       We are installing everything in:
>           /usr/local/argus
>           /usr/local/sbin
>           /usr/local/bin
>           /usr/share/doc/argus-2.0
>           rpms:  %{_mandir}/man[158]
>           tar:   /usr/local/man/man[158]
>
>       The argus output file will be
>           /var/log/argus.out
>
>       And the argus archive will be managed in
>          /usr/local/argus/archive
>
>    Any last comments/complaints?  This is a compromise, so
>    not anyone is getting their way.  I personally liked
>    /usr/argus, but even I have to let some things go ;o)

<0.02>

I've not been paying as close attention to this as perhaps I should.  I
don't really like the idea of using anything that could potentially be
tied to a specific system/system disk in an installation of argus.  In
other words, I'd not want to use /usr/share or /var/log.  It creates
some interconnections with other system facilities that may, or may not,
be present on a specific installation.

Personally, I have large disks dedicated to argus, and use either a
/usr/argus symlink to that disk, or /home/argus...something along those
lines.  All binaries and log files go there.

How impossible would it be to have this installation scheme accept in
autoconf a --prefix for what the base directory should be?  A default of
/usr/local may be okay if that's what others would greatly prefer, but
given the special nature of what argus does, to me there is great
benefit in keeping it totally seperate from system installations.

More than once I've had to pull out a disk and take it to another
machine for processing due to system disk failure, for example...

</0.02>

Scott