Argus tweaking and design considerations

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Feb 22 10:49:23 EST 2001

	It is that. Its also cheap insurance. Should we get implicated in a
DDOS attack because I have argus logs I can either tell our risk manager to
settle because we did it or indicate we were being spoofed because while the
reply packets appear in the logs there are no corresponding outgoing packets
from our site. As well any number of new contestents in "you bet your account"
have been awarded first prize after attemtping to crack or scan someone elses
system (possibly their own one at home) from our site. Then there is napster
gnuella et. al. detection (the current prize winner from a couple of days ago
was doing 30 gigs a day ...) and breakin detection and on and on :-)