RPM issues.

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Feb 20 09:38:15 EST 2001

Hey Yotam,
   Although we are building a Linux specific installation
file, there is no reason to have a specific Linux
installation strategy and another strategy for the
tarball, and a different one for Solaris, etc....
But, it still is a Linux specific installation, so we
do want to be conformant.

   OK, it seems that we may have some common ground with
a /usr/local installation with a /usr/local/argus hierarchy.
Would this be considered kosher for the Debian community?

   If so, would you want the binaries to go into /usr/local/[s]bin
or /usr/local/argus/[s]bin?  I personally like /usr/local/[s]bin
as these directories are already in most people's path.

   Manpages will go in %{_mandir}, which is what is being
done now.  For the Linux RPM I think that /usr/share/doc/argus-%{ver}
is the right thing to do, as 100% of the entries in my
/usr/share/doc use this format, but the tarball will install the
manpages in /usr/local/man and the docs in /usr/local/argus/doc.

   Regarding the data filesystem. Is there another example of
an application or database managing its data out of /var/log?
There will be a good deal of user access of some argus
data, and cgi access, and so I'm not too excited about
having argus data in the same partition as mail spool
directories.  I would like to know if there are
any real reasons not to have a /usr/local/argus/data directory.

   This is a very good discussion, so thanks for starting
the thread!!!!!

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com
Phone +1 212 588-9133
Fax   +1 212 588-9134

PS.
   There were a few other comments that I had.

   Cross platform is very important to me, so a common
solution is desirable.  That's why I was intrigued with
the FHS, but as I have discovered, its not a Unix
standard, although it is a very interesting project.

   I'd say we have more Solaris users than Linux users,
possibly because older Sun's do a bit better with network
performance than some newer PC's.  I have infinite more
experience with building Sun packages, and find them just
as easy to build as rpm's, once you know the incantations
and the file formats.  And Sun provides similar
functionality, so its an equivalent game for the most part.