argus memory use on Linux 2.2.18

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Feb 19 11:34:28 EST 2001

Gentle people,
   I'm going through memory utilization on a really
loaded Linux box at CMU, and I've got a question on
Linux memory use.

   What's with ps reporting memory use?  It seems that
regardless of actual memory allocation, ps seems to report
the max memory allocated.  Is this correct?

   Currently argus has a pretty dynamic memory use
profile, we allocate and deallocate memory as needed
based on concurrent flow tracking.  Looks like we're
doing about 400 bytes per flow, which is not bad.

   So what I'm seeing is that this machine will get as
many as 400,000 flows, which will take up about 150-200M
of memory, but when it comes down to its normal 75-100K
flows, ps still states that its using 200M of memory.
Size and RSS never go down.

So whats up?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K