argus-2.0.0 tuning

Chris Newton newton at unb.ca
Wed Apr 4 12:18:55 EDT 2001

Hi Carter and all,

  I would say, by guessing, that most newish IDE/ATA drives could do 10 MB/s
at _least_ for short periods of time, and sustain near that for long periods
(given it has the disk to itself).  Also, some of the setups I am going to
test, will have a dedicated network channel for writing argus records to
another machine... at least 100 Mbit.  So, I would _guess_ you could aim for
upwards of 10 MB/s... quite the jump over .128 MB/s it is currently limited
to.

  I am monitoring a very active and agressive network, that has about 12
universities and companies on it, and monitored from 1 single point, with 1
argus machine (P3, 256MB ram, 600 MB swap).  This network has about 2 DoS
attacks per week... mainly due to the residence students.  Argus does not,
currently, like these attacks very much... often over running the current
buffer settings, and, swallowing memory in huge gobs.  I have seen argus
processes in excess of 280 MB in size, during an attack.  This, I'd guess from
your comments, that this is because it is not expunging records to disk/port
as fast as it could be.

  I am wondering about the calculations you have though...  because, during 1
attack I had a 140 MB log file (I move it form argus.out to argus{timestamp}
every 30 seconds).  The records in that log file, have lots of the optional
output functions turned on (kitter... ICMP, so on)... but, still, argus
managed to pump out 4.66 MB/s, if you take 140 MB/30 seconds.  Argus did,
during that attack though, die. :)  That is the most recent event I had mailed
you about.

  I am very interested in tuning this to at least be able to deal with the
worst that can be thrown at you on a 100 Mbit, full duplex pipe (for now),
and, larger later :)

Chris

>===== Original Message From <carter at qosient.com> =====
>Gentle people,
>   Argus-2.0.0 seems to be doing OK, the only real
>issue has been in DDOS attacks, where it can get
>overwhelmed.  I have had some good luck with changing
>some internal variables, and removing a syslog() call
>in the code, and so tuning definitely has its benefits.
>
>   Default 2.0.0 is configured for a maximum record output
>of 1024 records per second, and have a buffer capacity of
>8 seconds. With an average record size of 128 bytes,
>this is just 1Mbps (128KB) of output that Argus can
>generate.  This seems tooooooo low.
>
>   We should engineer for a target max output bit rate
>for argus.  Do numbers like 10-20Mbps seem reasonable?
>Based on your logs, what kind of argus load are you
>generating?   What's the best IDE throughput for writing?
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Carter
>

>Carter Bullard
>QoSient, LLC
>300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
>New York, New York  10022
>
>carter at qosient.com
>Phone +1 212 588-9133
>Fax   +1 212 588-9134
>http://qosient.com

Chris Newton, Systems Analyst
Computing Services, University of New Brunswick
newton at unb.ca 506-447-3212(voice) 506-453-3590(fax)