how to deal with patches?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Apr 3 15:44:38 EDT 2001

Gentle people,
   We have a patch for argus that fixes two problems,
one with a Vlan tag information error that mangles the
argus record, and a tiny little problem reading MOAT
packets (generating erroneous "Fragment extension buffer
not found" errors).

   How would you guys like to handle these patches?
Do they represent unstable release 2.0.1 code, or simple
patches for 2.0.0?  Should patches go out immediately
and managed in a separate area on the web site?
Should I mail patches to the argus mailing list automatically?
Should I go ahead and release 2.0.1?  How about
argus-2.0.1.beta.1a?  .... Just kidding ;o)

   I personally would like to avoid putting out minor
version releases every week, so I'd like to either put
up patches for those that are having problems, and then
have a release with all the patches rolled up, possibly
every 8 weeks or so.

   This of course is just an opinion, does anyone have a
suggestion as to how to handle patches and minor version
releases?

Thanks!!!

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K