argus-2.0.0i (fwd)

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Tue Sep 26 16:08:29 EDT 2000

> Hey Peter et al,
>    Back on the air.  My DSL link has been down since
> Sunday. |^(
>
>    As I mentioned, I think I found this problem. I've got
>  ftp://qosient.com/dev/argus/argus-2.0/argus-2.0.0i.tar.gz
> on the server, please give this a try.  I think I was writing
> a bunch of zero's into some memory that was inappropriate.
> So I've made some changes to bcopy's and put in some pointer
> boundary checks, so maybe this will help.
>
>    In this version I have also added Slip and PPP interface
> support but I have not been able to test it, as well as
> ATM interface support, and so if there are interested people
> please do give it a try.
>
>    I have put back in the -a option support for clients, and
> added more information.  If there is a need to redo this
> option [  Chas I think that this was one of your requests ]
> now is the time to test and get opinions/comments/requests/
> attitude/whatever in.
>
>    I have clean up'd a great deal of stuff, and so we're
> getting close to being done with phase I (1.8.1 functionality
> with a few new tricks (non-ip traffic support), totally
> new platform).
>

> Carter
>
> Carter Bullard
> QoSient, LLC
> 300 E. 56th Street, Suite 17A
> New York, New York  10022

	OK I'll suck a copy down and install and run it. I spent last night
identifying operator error (using a capture snap length of 1510 instead of
1520 on an ethernet) to find why tcpreplay had lost 4 bytes on a couple of
captured and replayed packets. So I have 2 out of 3 of my test machines back
and thus has one to generate tcpreplay traffic anywhere up to 100 and another
(as well as our sniffer at slower speeds since it starts losing packets
silently at about 10) and a router that will produce rmon interface counts at
wire speed for control so I can start verifying both packet count accuracy
and speed capability. At some point I'll do the install on Solaris 7 as well
so I can compare FreeBSD and Solaris output from the same input stream as
well.