argus and snort ?

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 11 22:06:27 EDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:02:13 -0700 (PDT) Peter Van Epp <vanepp at sfu.ca>
wrote:

> 	To me as Russell says thats a different job than argus does at present,
> and I wouldn't stop running argus if I do choose to also run snort, NFR or
> Dragon because the latter 3 don't keep a record of everything on my net (as
> argus does) but only things they see as attacks. I'm currently unconvinced
> that they are going to be able to do a better job than argus however (nor
> reduce the amount of my time required which is my boss's great hope for the

I agree that it will *not* save time, even if you can get the false +ve
rate down to something manageable.  (THe comercial product should be
much better here than snort for this since they are doing much more
analysis). I also agree that with an network IDS you still need argus
so you can see the context of the incident which I believe is very
important.

> 	As to Russell's attack, in my case one of the things I do on a semi
> regular basis is dump out all the telnets inbound to our machines. A sudden
> change in the traffic pattern (as in half the Internet suddenly connecting,
> or as little as one offsite connection to a machine that hasn't had one before)
> gets a query to the administrator.

Hmmm.... I would include ssh too, crackers seem to be quite worried
about privacy these days ;-)

I have thought of doing this too but have not got around to it.  In
this case it would not have helped (unless the attackers had made a lot
of use of the machine) since there were regular telnet session from
staff who were on leave and colaborators at other sites.  Sigh...

One thing I do do is dump all non http traffic to many of our publicly
advertised web server.  I also try to get departments to consolidate
web servers to dedicated systems that don't also host lots of other
services.

Cheers, Russell