Older lexi issue

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Sep 11 07:37:00 EDT 2000

Hey Neil,
   Lex takes the -P option on my Linux machine, no problem.
This is lex 2.5.4.  Because we are now merging the two
compilers together, we have to have this option in order
for the strategy to work.  Is there not a switch on your
lex that does the same thing as the -P option (specify
scanner prefix other than 'yy')?

   If not, we'll have to have two programs.  The argus
engine and the output mutliplexer will have to be
independent programs.  This causes potential security
gotchas, because we'll have to fork/exec something in
the filesystem, which is a wonderful opportunity for
someone to swap programs.  That would give someone the
opportunity to put in their own embedded filters, thus
hiding tracks, or generating false trails.

   We can do it, but I'd rather not.

Carter